Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hoar Frost...

I braved the cold today. I needed to load my garbage up in the truck and haul it into town. No garbage service in Fairbanks. I also wanted to look out in my storage shed and see what they put out there and see how much room I had out there. It was a -14 out today. Since I was out and the sun was out, I took a couple pictures too. not very good b/c I think I was shivering but still. You get the idea.

The air up here is unbelievably dry. The snow squeaks when you walk on it. It makes perfect conditions for hoar frost. For those of you who don't know what it is you can look at all sorts of pretty pictures or go to Wikipedia and read about it here. I have always found hoar frost to be really pretty. My whole house is covered in it. So is the storage shed and it "tinkled" off the shed when I pulled to get the door open. Made a cool falling sound.

I managed to get the garbage to the transfer station. I also managed to create enough once I got home to need to make another trip. I also went to The Prospector to do a little shopping. They had their annual "Bag It" sale. They give you this huge industrial strength bag and everything you fit into it is 20% off. I stocked up on wool socks and under layers. Lots of long sleeve and three-quarter sleeve layers to wear under sweaters and such. Also got a pair of flannel lined jeans. Found a face mask to keep my mouth and nose covered in the cold too...would have come in handy this morning. Finished it off with a pair of Merrill knee high boots.

Since getting home I've been moving piles. I have nearly everything in the room it needs to be in. I also have a pile of "where the hell do I put this?" stuff. Hopefully, it's all put away by Thursday at 2 pm...I have 18 people coming for a Thanksgiving feast!

No comments: